Thursday, May 12, 2011

Flots Till Death

Let me start off by saying I've been a fan of Flotsam and Jetsam since '86. I picked up their first record Doomsday For The Deceiver (on vinyl) and was blown away. Shortly after that it was announced their then bassist Jason Newstead was leaving the band and joining Metallica. I was a huge fan of the late great Cliff Burton, and was siked to see the big "M" pick up a very talented Newstead. The rest is metal history which I can rant for days about.. (Maybe in another entry)


Flotsam and Jetsam continued on and replaced Newstead. I saw them live for the first time in '88 on tour for their second record No Place For Disgrace. Flotsam easily became one of my favorites for many years to come. They put out some quality records up to the mid to late '90's. Then it seemed things just started to fall apart. Members were leaving and the music suffered. I would hear some of what they were putting out from 2000 on but it just wasn't cutting it for me until last year's (2010) The Cold was released..


Flotsam fans Rejoice!! This record is one of my top picks of 2010. It fucking shreds period. Some of the best Thrash you will ever hear is on this release and I demand that you pick it up. I play this all the time and still can't get enough of it.

"Flotsam and Jetsam's new record The Cold was released on September 14, 2010. It was the last album with Mark Simpson on guitar. He left the band in friendship and was replaced by returning guitarist Ed Carlson, who had quit the band in March 2010, to be replaced by Michael Gilbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment